Saturday 21 May 1994

Paris

This was a work trip, to attend the first WWW conference, held in CERN, Geneva. However I got to see a bit of France and Switzerland. It wasn't a major trip so just enjoy the pictures. I have to apologise for the state of some of the pictures due to poor storage of the negatives.

This was a busker on the RER train coming from CdG airport.


The original plan was to take the TGV to Marseilles, transfer to a local to Aix en Provence, overnight there, then take a train to Geneva. (The Aix en Provence TGV station didn't open until 2001.)

Unfortunately when I went to the booking counter, I found that all morning services were full. C'est complet! It was unwise of me not to book ahead. Foiled again in my attempt to overnight in Aix en Provence.


So I had to change my plans. I would take the afternoon TGV to Marseille, have dinner there, then catch the night train to Geneva, passing through Annecy. In the meantime I had a few hours to kill so I went to the marché aux puces de Saint-Ouen (flea market) at the Porte de Clignancourt. It's a familiar name on metro signs as directions are named after the terminus station and Clignancourt is the northern terminus of line 4.


It's a large market, full of goods and colour.


I was obviously attracted by these large carpets.


This would be the Périphérique, the ring road of Paris, which is near the metro station.

No comments:

Post a Comment